Monday, August 17

i'm a reader

that's right - i've embraced the reader inside. in the past month or 2, i have read these:

persuasion : jane austen
i am actually going to admit it, although it feels like saying i don't like dogs (chandler) but so far (and i know, it's only one book) i'm not all that smitten with ms. austen. hopefully, at the suggestion of my well-read sister, i can pick this book up again in several months and feel very differently at that point. it wasn't even the writing style, although that did take some getting used to, but i just didn't fall in love with her ... yet. what does it say that i didn't like reading her work but i loved watching a movie about her works (the jane austen book club - i would watch it again and again). i'm not opposed to reading more austen, but i do think i'll give it awhile.

alice's tulips : sandra dallas
this was a sweet novel written from one sister to another, through letters. it followed the stories of alice, a new bride whose husband left to fight in the civil war. she spends the next few years writing letters to her sister, lizzie, telling her all the funny, sad, and bittersweet experiences she has living with her mother in law who's not all that fond of her. cute story and cute point of view.

the knitting circle : ann hood
i loved this book. i read it in one, count it - ONE - day. that's huge for me. oh i just loved this story: woman loses child to meningitis. woman is depressed and wants nothing to do with anyone or anything. woman learns to knit at the urging of her unavailable mother. woman learns to knit and joins knitting circle full of women with all kinds of stories of love and loss. woman realizes she can share her own grief, grief is a common thread, and she can find family with these women. definitely want to read this one again soon.

the time traveler's wife : audrey niffeneger
i have been so excited to see this movie and read the book in preparation. i was visiting my parents over the weekend and my mom had actually borrowed the book from my sister. i was under a time crunch, but i read it and l-o-v-e-d it. i'll be honest, it was a little confusing for the first 100 pages or so ... you know, because of all the time traveling, but it was such a great story. such a wonderful story of real unconditional love. i mean, the woman lives a life with half a partner. the guy is leaving all the time and has no clue when or where it will happen. their love is amazing; they love and get each other through all the downs just as much as through the ups. i can't wait to read this one again! :)

oh and it doesn't hurt that i am seeing the movie in 53 minutes!

5 quick quips:

Kristi said...

OK, I am very much a Ms. Austen fan! Persuasion is my favorite of her books. She'll grow on you:)

Sarah said...

I've been joining you with reading books the last couple of months. I've probably read more books this summer than I have my whole life. It's funny cause Andrew and I watched The Jane Austen Book Club and it inspired Andrew to read more as well. I was shocked when I saw him with sense and sensibility. I would have to say the movie probably inspired me to join our local book club and it was really enjoyable. I hoped you enjoyed the movie. A friend happened to pick it to watch on a date and was not impressed but she probably didn't know a thing about it.

the coltons said...

of course the book is better than the movie, but they did a great job including what they could in a couple of hours. i loved it :)

sterlingandbrandi said...

I have been a horrible book worm my whole life so I'm always happy when there's a new convert! I'm going to check out your recommendations... I personally LOVE Pride and Prejudice. I'm not a big one for classics but I had to read it for a class at BYU once and just fell in love with it. It helps if you picture Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy...

How did you like Time Travelers? I watched it with Sterling last Friday and I thought it was good - just not nearly as good as the book - but they had to leave a lot out. Sterling thought it was so depressing and wished he hadn't seen it.

Johanna said...

I'm going to be secretly pleased that all the books you read were on my recommendation! And you don't have to like Austen. It took me awhile to become a convert (and I've been reading hard core since 2nd grade!!) How was the movie, by the way??