Friday, August 10

YW Camp 2007

Where have I been? YW Camp at Heber Valley Camp - so you can't really call it camping :) I went as the assistant camp director and we had a fabulous time. I am convinced that we have the best group of girls in the entire stake! They are just so easy to work with and so easy to love. Here's a quick rundown of what I was doing all week:

Monday - The stake theme for camp this year was Survivor: Virtuous Island. Each ward had their virtue and color, we were Friendship and our color was turquoise. Each day the stake put on a challenge. Our newest beehive, Sierra, is here competing to get our survival kit. It was on Day 1 that we were introduced to our friend, Fat Boy the squirrel. He was constantly in our cabin, eating whatever he could get his hands on. The best was realizing he found the bag of peanut butter filled pretzels - he chewed a hole into the pretzels and would suck out the peanut butter! This was our pathetic attempt to keep him out - it was very unsuccessful as he visited us numerous times daily. Here are a few of the girls in canoes out on Legacy Lake.

Here is the group with our camp shirts and island flowers in our hair. What a cute bunch of chicks!
Monday night's challenge - we didn't win but our girls worked fast and hard!
Tuesday - we lost 1/3 of our group Monday night. We had a couple girls go home and 2 of our girls go on the overnight hike. We were thrilled to welcome back our 4th years Tuesday morning.
This deer was standing about 20 feet from our cabin door - we got to see a lot of wildlife up close. What a treat.
I ran into Heber, which turned into running to Orem, to get some pictures developed for a craft we were doing later in the week. I missed out on the hike, but for anyone who knows me, it wasn't a big sacrifice :) I thought I'd be gone for a little over an hour - it ended up being over three! At least I got all the pictures developed :) Some girls decided to learn how to make friendship bracelets to go along with our virtue.
Wednesday - our ward had bathroom duty twice on Wednesday. Our girls, being as awesome as they are, got in and got it done, without any complaining. They are so great! :)Sister Welch showed the stake what real singing involves - DANCING! She was one of the few volunteers in the entire group who dared get on stage and sing - not to mention shake her groove thing :)
Here is our camp mailbox. The girls wrote notes to each other all week long, especially to their secret sisters. Wednesday night's challenge - a big group effort of scripture chasing.
Skit night! These three skits were amazingly funny - I was literally crying. I couldn't stop laughing for about 4 minutes. I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time. Too hilarious.
Sister McFarland (YW President) and Sister Welch (Counselor).

Root beer floats for dessert, thanks to Sister Welch and Sister Seagle (Camp Director)

and hair curling for girl time!

Thursday - it rained ... a LOT. We had rain in the morning, which meant we weren't able to go on the challenge course. We were all pretty bummed, but there was really nothing we could do. I finally snapped a picture of our pet squirrel, Fat Boy. The girls made up a song just for him: PD2 (Pacific Drive 2nd ward) has a little problem, Food's been vanishing from our cabin, We've lost our goldfish, MilkDuds, Chips-a-hoy, And that's why we named our pet squirrel Fat Boy. We even sang it for the stake at one of the flag ceremonies :)

Once things started to dry up in the afternoon, we were able to spend some time on the challenge course afterall. Here are a couple pictures of the girls figuring out how to work together to get through the obstacles.Here is our group with our beautiful crafts :) We made pillows. I embroidered each one with their name and a pineapple, the symbol of friendship. We also made "cute cubes" that they could decorate however they wanted. The pictures I got developed in Orem were for the cubes. Our ward flag. I love it because the girls designed and made the entire thing. They did a great job. Here is the flag from each ward in the stake.Bishopric Night! We handed out awards and then did our secret sister presentations. It was amazing. We had the girls make something that had meaning for their secret sister and then present it for everyone to see. They did such an awesome job.

It was such a rewarding week and I just fell in love with these girls. However, I was more in love with my bed once I got home :) I'm still catching up on my rest!

1 quick quips:

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

Looks like girls camp was a great success! I'm glad you had so much fun!