Wednesday, November 4

thoughts?

what do you think of when you see this photo? does it make you think christmas necessarily? i only ask because it looks like winter to me. although, to be fair, i did search "christmas and snow" to find it....

ok, here's what i'm getting at: does it bother you when christmas comes early? (i mean early as in celebrating before thanksgiving even hits) i think this probably used to bother me, but i have learned to enjoy the christmas season as long as i can. sure, i set up and decorated my christmas tree on halloween a few years ago ... no i have not done that since. but i am of the school of thought that "christmas celebrations" (if that's what you have to call them) can begin as soon as november 1st. now, let me clarify - i have no intentions of decorating my home for christmas before thanksgiving (although i have done that the night before we left town for thanksgiving ... just so it was finished when we got home and that was wonderful) but i say bring on the music and commercials (they always make me cry) as early as you want, people! it just seems too short to celebrate such a great time of year in only a few weeks' time. i love getting in the spirit of things as soon as the weather turns and sweaters, coats, and scarves become part of every day's attire.

so i say bring it on, hallmark!

10 quick quips:

Cynthia said...

Great post Erin!!! Im right there with you! I love this season and I think we should embrace it. Thanks for your beautiful words.

Three Guys and a Gal said...

I too agree with you! Its not just the season but the spirit! I will take it November 1st or sooner really!

Kristi said...

Its funny you posted this today. Last week I was so anti Christmas, like don't even mention it, its OCTOBER! Last night I was checking out a decorating blog and she had some Christmas stuff on and something clicked and I was excited to do some of the projects and yes, now I am ready to bring on Christmas! Loved Kate's fish costume BTW!

Lora said...

OOH, I'm so with you on this! I got out our Christmas music and movies as soon as the weather turned cold, which was before Halloween. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CHRISTMAS!! It comes and goes so quickly, why not celebrate as long as possible?!

Kaitlyn Swain said...

I completely agree with you!! It is one of the best times of the year and we should enjoy it for as long as we can!! I'm so happy to know someone else thinks the same as I do about starting Christmas celebrations :)

Kristen Weller said...

In Steve's mission, the people would start playing Christmas music and hanging the decorations in the streets in September. I love Christmas too and I always find myself decorating early. Maybe because I have lots of Christmas decorations and like 2 Thanksgiving/Fall decorations.

Kristen Weller said...

Oh- and my mom's theory is Christmas Music is acceptable any time after October General Conference. She listened to it in the car while we were trick or treating.

Michelle said...

I thought of Christmas when I saw this picture, it is beautiful by the way. I don't necessarily love to start celebrating until after Thanksgiving, which is weird because I used to. I think when I start listening to the music too early and putting up decor too early, I get sick of it by the end. I want to just do it for a month and love everyday of it. I love Christmas too, and can't wait to feel the Christmas spirit!

jenlivi said...

I like the anticipation of all things Christmas that I feel in November. Then the day after Thanksgiving - it's time to let the celebration begin!!

The King Family said...

Good thoughts. I say, bring it on. I have been listening to the music for weeks. I love it!!!!