Saturday, September 3

home improvements

welcome to our porch.  
this photo is actually from before it was ours but it serves to show you how dark and cave-like the porch was.  the other day, i trimmed down the honeysuckle - it had a radius of about 3 feet and was out-of-control-wild.  did you know that honeysuckle grows off old wood?  maybe my terminology is off, but basically we had 2 1/2 feet of old wood (think bird's nest for a huge bird) and 6 inches on the outside of pretty green growth.  anyway, it was time to pare down... now it looks kind of sad but i'm hoping for a beautiful plant come spring.

anyway.....

here is what our porch looked like thursday afternoon.  bare honeysuckle/grapevine, handrail in the middle of the steps, stains all over the cement, painted house number, brown storm door, black front door (did you even notice the cute diamond glass we have in there?  me either ... ok, i noticed it, but it doesn't really stand out at all)

 here is our garage door as of first thing this morning - more brown. 


and now, are you ready for the big reveal?

here is our porch this afternoon.  i know, right?  just kidding :)  so i painted the door, painted the storm door (it will do until we just go out and get a new one), and painted all the trims.  we hired weston's cousin to acid wash the concrete to even out the stains and get rid of the painted numbers.  the concrete still looks aged like it should be so i'm happy.  he also cut out that ugly handrail which, by the way, i wouldn't have minded if it weren't in the middle of the porch. 
 cute little diamond window looks much better behind gray, don't you think?
 and don't forget the crisp white garage door!  i'm so excited about white, can you tell?  even if it shows the dents in the door more than the brown did, i'm still wildly happy with the results.
and you want to know the best part of it all?  my husband and i worked side by side to get this all done.  great way to spend a saturday (and don't worry, he was still able to squeeze in a couple hours of skateboarding.)

6 quick quips:

Unknown said...

erin, you never cease to amaze me. can you come out this way for a week or two? our house could use YOU!

Johanna said...

Looks great! The porch especially looks much brighter. Thanks for blogging!!

Steven said...

You are so smart! I need you to come to my house and give me some pointers. It looks great! I loved seeing your cute house. I'm so sorry again about the mirror! You were so great about it and didn't make me feel bad at all, I'm just so sorry!!! Can't wait to get together again soon:)

Michelle said...

This is really Michelle, not Steven. I always think I'm logged in, but alas I am not.

Natalie said...

Erin! I've missed your posts! Not that I have room to talk or anything:) But glad to see you on this forum again. I love before and afters. They're so fun to see, and motivating. I love what you guys did. Love it.

Ben and Shara said...

Dang Gina, I love the improvements! I love before and afters, (I always forget to take the before picture). Good job. I particularly like how open your porch just became!
Coolio.