Friday, January 22

to move or not to move?

that apparently is the question...

weston's grandparents own the 4-plex we live in and they told us tonight they are selling it.  what?  but thankfully, they already thought of us :)  they gave us our options - one of which include moving into their posh "basement" apartment in their home on the hill in pg.  now we are both having mixed feelings, so it's really hard to know what to do.

some of the pro's:
it's HUGE and brand spanking new
it's not really a basement - it's on the ground floor and has floor to ceiling windows in every room
our finances would stay the same, if not improve a smidge
we could get out from under our upstairs neighbors who only get louder and more obnoxious everyday (a single, older woman and her adult mooch of a son)

some of the con's:
we would have to leave our ward! :(
we would have to physically pack up and move
it's "far away" from the freeway (a perk we LOVE where we are)
it's "far away" from our favorites - cafe rio, in-n-out, rubios, costco (mind you, "far away" means about 10 miles ... i know it's not that far, just not nearly as convenient)

thoughts?  what would you do in our situation?  we both really love living in american fork (who in the world would have thought we'd EVER say that?) and would be very sad to leave.  it has really become "home" ....

and kristi, i don't want to hear your crap about how you move all the time and i should just get over it, haha ;)

14 quick quips:

Brett and Shireen Olsen said...

I vote for the move. I know it's hard to do it, but I think it sounds fabulous to live in a brand new huge ground floor place without super loud upstairs neighbors. But I also hate packing and moving. But... One of the pros for me of moving (not that we will anytime soon) is that you get to go through and get rid of stuff, which is something I totally enjoy. Good luck!

Carrie said...

3 words: move, move, move!

Sarah said...

My vote would be to move. I'm always up for a new adventure. Plus you guys love going on drives it will just make going to town that much more of an adventure.

Cynthia said...

Move! You'll make it "home". it's hard moving but it will be ok. Heck, just not having to deal with neighbors its a huge plus!

Kristi said...

Go for the move.... you'll love it when you have your next KIDS!!!

Brad said...

Um. . . DON'T YOU DARE MOVE!!! First of all, a ward you like is very hard to replace;) and location is everything. Brad and I lived in his parents basement in Cedar Hills for awhile and it felt like it took forever to get anywhere(cafe rio, rubios, costco). I know that you can make anywhere feel like home, but I'm sorry, I am not going to encourage you to move in any way, shape or form. In fact, I think you should buy one of these townhomes and stay for awhile! We love you guys! Ok. I'll stop ranting now.

Natalie said...

Ok. So that last post came from me, not Brad. But trust me, he feels the same way.

Johanna said...

I'd have to agree with everyone - your best bet is to move. You are going to have to move sooner or later. If you really want to stay in the ward, maybe take a look around the neighborhood and see if maybe there's something you can afford that is a step up in space, etc. It's a bummer to be forced to make a decision before you thought you were ready, but sometimes that's a blessing ... good luck!

Michelle said...

Yep, I say move too. If you are planning on having more babies, then the space will really come in handy, believe me I am feeling the "size" of my apartment right now with 3 little ones. Also about the ward, I totally understand....it is so hard to move from somewhere you know and where you love the people, but I have been shocked each time we have moved how I fall in love with the ward and the people. It will be an adventure! I hope I see you soon! I think about you all the time.

Ben and Shara said...

What? That doesn't sound good to me. . .

So the question is, will the place actually be selling soon? how long until you have to decide? Can you put it off at all? How much of a savings is it really? There are some town homes available.

I'm sure you guys would be fine starting over in a new area, new ward, I don't envy your situation of having to make a big move though, but in truth the perks sound nice. Are you saying that you would still stay in the apartment you are in if you don't go to p.g? AAHHHH don't do it. Change is BAD! (actually, I love change but only to a certain extent). Good luck making your decision.

Donnie and Kristi said...

What! I can't believe you'd say that! Before I was rudely interrupted....I was going to say that moving is very refreshing. You get rid of so much stuff you don't need, and it's fun to use all your stuff in new ways. It's like starting over brand new but with the same stuff! You're new ward will be fabulous, you'll get to keep your old friends and get new ones. You said your finances would improve so that's awesome...go for it. Don't be a wimp. Don't get stuck in a rut. Be adventurous. Just do it. And I say this in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Ashley Taylor said...

Move... to California. It's cheap and culturally diverse. (This is Rory)

Unknown said...

Make the move! It is fun to change things up a little. Michelle had a good point also. It might be a better place for a growing family! Then, once you move, invite us over because I have not seen you in a while!

Unknown said...

move to Castle Rock, CO. Its freaking cheap right now, as we are finding out.