Friday, July 11

just call me baby betty

baby betty crocker, that is.i took on the task of making baby food for kate. i was impressed with just how easy it all was. all it took was some fresh fruits and veggies, a food processor, a few ice cube trays, ziploc bags & a sharpie, and an hour or 2 of your time = about 1/4 the cost of buying those jars of baby food. i figure i have enough food for about 45-50 meals for kate and it cost me all of about $6.
a couple of cubes is about the same amount as a small jar and it cost me 12 cents instead of 50 cents! sarah, i think you'd be proud of me.
i'm for sure doing this from now on. i can spend a couple of hours to make enough food for over a month . . . so easy and for once, i didn't burn it!

6 quick quips:

Sarah said...

I am so proud of you! It looks like you got a good variety of food as well. I would be surprised if you really had to make much more for how much you have. Before you know it Kate will be eating sliced bananas and cheerios and a little of what your having for lunch and dinner. You Rock! Were you surprised at how green the peas looked? I just cooked some up from frozen and was a little surprised at how green they were. Can't wait to see how they come out the other end.

the coltons said...

yah, they were SUPER green. and the other end? kind of gritty :) i started straining them before i feed her - you just lose like 1/2 the volume. oh well :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Erin, Even I am impressed as I never did that for any of you kids. But then baby food sold at 12 for a $1.00 way back then. anyway Kate will certainly be eating healthier and probably likes the flavor better.See you soon. Love Mom

Johanna said...

I still remember doing the same for Spencer. He wouldn't touch baby food from a jar after eating fresh cooked baby food. I'm glad you found it easy going. Any flavors Kate hates/really likes?? I can't wait to see you guys at the end of the month. Kate is so cute!!

Carrie said...

I did the same for Micah and am doing it with Abby. It's so much cheaper as well as so much healthier. I didn't realize this until just recently, but just two of the small jars of prepared baby food has as much sodium as is needed for an infant for an entire day.

Ben and Shara said...

hello, domestic goddess, you are making the rest of us lazy gals look bad. I'm extremely impressed with your skills, does she really like it?