Thursday, December 18

will she leave this one on?

so i made kate a new hat. she hates having a hat on but with not much hair to speak of, she kind of has to have one on. and so the struggle continues. we try to show her how we all wear hats and that she should leave hers on because we are all leaving ours on, but to no avail. i knew i needed to find a hat with straps or velcro or snaps or something. so we looked and looked. everything we have seen this year either has a face on it . . . (we're not so much into the character clothing - we also know it's going to be a losing battle once she realizes you can get clothes with elmo/princesses/etc. on them but we're avoiding it as long as we can) . . . so as i was saying, every hat either has a face on it or has 2 pom poms on top, neither of which we are fond of.

so, since i am trying to be like my mom and one day hope to be able to make shoes (that's for you, mama), i decided i could probably manage making kate a hat. we went to temple square last weekend to look at the christmas lights and i saw the cutest little red knit beanie with ear muffs and straps. it called to me :) so i tried duplicating it but minus the pom on top - i love this pixie looking hat. my little kate looking all elfin :)

it looks pretty cute in the pictures, but it's MUCH cuter in real life :)
i owe a HUGE shout out to kristi - you taught me how to crochet in like 7th grade when we made some kind of ear warmer . . . was that for mr. woolsey's class? anyway, you taught me how and i haven't picked up a crochet hook since - you must have been a STELLAR teacher for it to stick all these years :)

7 quick quips:

Kerry said...

ERIN!!! you are SO talented! Where do I order one?!?

sterlingandbrandi said...

Not that you need it with that cute hat, but Gymboree usually has some that velcro closed, but usually an animal face. Which I think is cute, but may be enough to disqualify them for you. And I always buy them at $3.99.

Three Guys and a Gal said...

That is darling. Kate looks so cute in that with her chubby cheeks!! You did an awesom job!

Kristen Weller said...

I can't get Josh to keep a hat on either. Our babysitter just lives across the street, and by the time we walk over in the mornings, he has already taken his hat off at least three times! Too cute!

Sarah said...

That hat is adorable. I'm totally impressed I think the only thing I can crochet is a pot holder. I love that picture of kate it shows so much personality.

Natalie said...

I can't believe you can just see a cute hat and WALAA! now you have one too! I am envious of your skills. I love to crochet, but I only know how to make scarfs and they sometimes turn our all curvy. I am sooo with you on the character thing. It has secretly bothered me for years. Is it not possible to find cute baby clothes without Pooh on or something on them???

Donnie and Kristi said...

How did I miss this post? Holy crap...Remember those stupid ear warmers? You said that salt was supposed to keep heat in or something, so we poured salt on them! Remember? We were so gay, seriously. Good job on the hat, I don't think I could do that, so I must have been a WAY good teacher!