Friday, July 24

which witch?

or wizard, rather.

when i first watched harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban, i really did not like the "new" dumbledore. the actor who first played albus, richard harris, was the dumbledore i knew and loved. this was prior to my reading any of the books, mind you. but i loved the sweetness and gentle nature of this professor dumbledore.

when the actor died, the third movie had a new actor, michael gambon, playing the familiar role. intially, i did not like new dumbledore. in fact, i didn't like new dumbledore until probably watching the 5th movie, the order of the phoenix. it was really when i finally decided to read the books that i actually started to love new dumbledore.

here is my main reason:
end of #5: crazy battle with voldemort, is spectacular

end of #6: amazing scene, no spoilers but he's just the man

he's just enough gruff and rough and gentle and caring. i especially love the relationship he has with harry - more than mentor, more like fatherish figure. what a great man.

sorry richard harris, but i don't think your dumbledore would have been capable of what albus had to actually, physically do - especially at the end of #5 and #6. i love michael gambon as professor dumbledore... love him. he's fantastic.

what do you think???

oh yeah, i caught the matinee today and have this junk on the brain again - please forgive.

5 quick quips:

Donnie and Kristi said...

You are a nerd. That's what I think.

the coltons said...

yeah, it's true

:)

Kristen Weller said...

I love the 'new' Dumbledore too. I don't think the sweet, gentle 1st Dumbledore could have kicked Voldemort's trash in 5.

Johanna said...

I'm jealous! I want to go see it again - if only I could find some time! And I agree with your take on Dumbledore.

Lora said...

I still like the old Dumbledore better. Finally after this sixth movie I started liking the new one. I pictured him to be just like the other guy when I read the books.