Saturday, December 18

we are all sad

the provo tabernacle burned for several hours in the middle of last night through this morning.  not only is this sad for reasons like

it's a historic building and is part of the US historic registry
the many hands and most likely sacrifices that went into it's building
the venue for various concerts and community events

these are all important and valid reasons.  the biggest reason i am sad, however, is because right there
in the bottom left corner of the photo, under that overhang, is where my husband asked me to marry him.  it was early february and the snow was coming down and he wanted to get us out of the snowfall... if you don't know the story, you can read about it here.
   
there it is again
 
there's our little overhang - hanging in there with the flames.  and see that tree just to the left of it?  that's where i stopped us (after saying yes and hugging and all of that) to ask if weston had asked my dad.  i'm glad to see our little porch and tree are still there at the very least...  what a sad morning.

2 quick quips:

Kristi said...

So very sad! Such a beautiful building! Glad your little part of the building hung in there!

Natalie said...

Ok, so when I kept checking the news all day that day, waiting for updates on the tabernacle, I had this fleeting thought in my head...wasn't this where Erin got engaged? But then I wasn't positive so I kind of forgot about it. How sad for you guys! I was so sad and I've only been in there once. I'm so glad that your little overhang is still there, and your tree. My Dad works in real estate for the church and he says he's pretty positive that someone will probably come in, some outside source (ie, rich member with sentimental attachment) and fund the restoration so the church won't have to. Sounds kind of weird but he says that's usually what happens with this kind of thing.

So was that like the longest comment you've ever gotten???