Thursday, April 28

baby food

yep, that time came around again.  beth has been eating her solids for about a month now and she is doing great.  she loves to eat, that's for sure!!  i don't know how she is under the 3rd percentile for her weight...

because it's so easy and incredibly cheap (plus fun to do and i feel like i'm doing something healthy for her) i decided to make baby food again.  there are plenty of tutorials/step by step options online, plus there's not much to it, so i'll leave that out.  i made her a variety of options and she's working her way through all of them!


some of the foods
did i mention cheap?  for a meal for this girl (and she's an eater) it costs me all of about 8 cents... take that 50 cent jars!!!
kate finishing up her rice crispies

5 quick quips:

Ben and Shara said...

I need to do this. But Hazel is just starting to want food with texture. Any thoughts on the next stages of food?

Natalie said...

Ok. So I am SO into this. I did this for Paige for months and months. Every time I got eight or more meals out of like ONE sweet potato or something I totally felt awesome. But check it out, my mother-in-law bought me one of those fancy BabyCook thingys. Have you seen them? Anyway, they're like $100+ and really nice, so you can totally borrow mine for a while if you want. It's just sitting on my shelf and just yesterday I was looking at it wishing someone was getting some use out of it. It's a steamer and blender all in one so it takes like 10 min to make, start to finish and only one dish to wash. I can bring it if you want next time I see you and if you want to you can use it.

Ok. Seriously longest comment of all time.

the coltons said...

sharalee - don't know if you'll check back for my response, but i don't! the one thing i'm going to try this time around is using a food grinder... i am hoping they give an in between consistency... i need to find some ideas though - i feel like i skipped that stage with kate and she was awful when it came to eating for like a couple of years! if you come across anything, let me know!

Jessica Kunz said...

That is so cool that you do that. I need to start doing that to save me some money! I have the opposite problem of Sharalee. Crew wants texture but he has NO teeth. So I get worried with him choking. Oh how every child is so different.

Johanna said...

This makes me want to have a baby again - so I can make those zip locks full of food cubes!! When Spencer was ready for more texture we would mash up whatever we were having for dinner with a fork - you can control how mashed it gets. Meat we just cut into small bits.