Sunday, April 19

happy birthday, johanna!

today is my sister's birthday. we are 11 years apart, so most of the sister i know and love comes from the last 10-15 years of really getting to know who she is. it seemed like she and i never lived under the same roof when i was growing up - i know that's not entirely true, but that's how it always felt.

i have been told that johanna was very excited to find out she had a little sister (me) but i am the lucky one to have the big sister (her). johanna has always been a great older sister and even better example.

when i was in 2nd grade, johanna invited me to come stay with her at byu - in her aparment! i was so excited! i remember sleeping in her room and thinking it was so cool that she lived on her own with these other girls. i went to school with her and got to sit through an actual college class. her friend, paige, was so nice to me (it was the first time i ever knew paige was a name - and i've liked it ever since) i remember staying up late and sneaking down the halls of some building on campus, taking posters off the walls to hang in their place. i remember running across the grass, trying to see if old brigham's statue would do the funky chicken :) i remember going to the movies on campus, eating pillow mints johanna bought for me, and watching innerspace. that was such a fun experience for me and i have always loved that my sister would want me to hang around like that.

i remember when she went on her mission, i was pretty sad and knew i would miss her. yes, i know she had been gone to college, but i did know that a mission was going to be different. that all quickly changed (me feeling sad) when she started writing letters to me, and she always included cartoons or stickers. i LOVED getting her letters.

i remember when johanna came home from her mission, within a few days she had helped me convince my mom to let me dye my hair and start shaving my legs - thanks sister :)

here we are on christmas morning, 1991 - 2 days before johanna was going to marry tom

the summer before my sophomore year of high school, johanna invited me to come stay with her for a few weeks at the end of summer. it was a welcome treat since i was dealing with girl drama (high school can be so much fun!) spencer was so much fun and so little and i loved being able to spend time with her and redecorate her kitchen (do you remember putting up the ivy paper, johanna?)

and, who could forget when johanna invited me to come live with her family for a few months in 2001. i spent 6 months total, in denver, split between travis' family and johanna's family. thank you for opening your home to me, allowing me to grow up a bit, spending time with me and helping me through so many things. i will always cherish the time i spent with you, tom, and spencer.

weston took this picture 3-4 years ago - i have always loved it :)

johanna, i'm so glad you are my sister and i'm so glad you helped pave my way! thank you for all the ways you've helped me and all the things you've taught me.

i hope you have a GREAT birthday!!!!

8 quick quips:

Donnie and Kristi said...

Well if that wasn't the cutest thing ever!

Cottle's said...

I love my two girls and now you know why!!!

Tasha said...

you guys look so much alike!!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing this. You guys are both great sister in-laws to have. Johanna if you are reading this Happy Birthday!

Cynthia said...

Erin that was the sweetest thing ever! Did you cry while you were typing??:) I did. You both are great sisters.

Johanna said...

Erin, that was such a wonderful post - what a great birthday present! I think you are pretty terrific yourself and I'm really glad we have such a good relationship. Here's to sisters!!

Michelle said...

She sounds great and you are so sweet Erin!

Three Guys and a Gal said...

Well hello she is not even my sister and I am totally crying! That was so sweet!!